Continuing Professional Development (CPD) exists to ensure that employees enhance their skills and abilities once they have formally qualified. It involves ongoing upskilling to make sure that further learning is progressed in a practical and relevant way. CPD allows individuals to regularly focus on important areas of development and reduce any shortfalls in knowledge that they may have.
JTL is using its charitable status to further support the building services engineering sector through encouraging CPD. We spoke to Liam Sammon, director or learning and innovation at JTL, and this is what we found out.
The importance of CPD
As more individuals gain similar professional qualifications, CPD is becoming increasingly important as a way for individuals to remain competitive and separate themselves from the pack, while giving businesses the ability to diversify the services that they offer. Many people now also acknowledge that CPD helps employees to feel more motivated to succeed, resulting in a more driven workforce and an increase in staff retention.
When it comes to employee development or future proofing your business, CPD is certainly an option. It can be thought of as upskilling and keeping up with the requirements of your customers and industry. Regulations are getting tighter and an evidence of attained CPD is a great way to demonstrate knowledge in the areas that may be required.
Are you ready to ‘Power Up’?
At JTL, we recognise that both individuals and businesses can hugely benefit from creating a learning-focused culture that values internal progression. As a training provider with a charitable status, we’re proud to introduce Power Up, a free online learning resource where installers can access industry-related taster courses.
The new hub provides engaging online materials in the form of bite-sized courses, which allows both JTL alumni and those working within the sector to regularly focus on important areas of development.
The free taster courses, which can be completed anywhere at any time via mobile or tablet, each offer an introductory video, as well as interactive content including animated videos and knowledge checks.
The first electrical courses to launch, ‘Safe Isolation’ and ‘Inspection and Testing’ are a skills refresher before we move onto a series of courses focused on the changing world of an electrician this will go on to include the following: Electric Vehicle Charging Points, Smart Homes Cable Innovation and Fire Safety. We hope this is the first phase of an ongoing series of bite-sized courses.
Our mission to keep installers learning
Here are our five top reasons why you should consider powering up your skill set with JTL:
1. It offers a diverse range of learning – Power Up is a fantastic way for installers to participate in refresher training or to learn a new skill, as well as having the opportunity to explore the accredited short courses already available through JTL.
2. It is suitable for both learners and employers – this tool is a way for individuals to remain competitive, while giving businesses the ability to diversify the services that they offer. The bite-sized courses are designed to encourage you to progress onto an accredited course.
3. It gives industry professionals the confidence to handle changes in the sector – this resource will allow installers to enhance their skillset, learn about new technologies, and reduce any shortfalls in knowledge they may have – ensuring they can stay ahead of the curve.
4. It helps futureproof your business – accredited learning highlights a company’s commitment to innovation, communicating key industry messages and upskilling its current workforce.
5. It helps to create a learning-focused culture – in the long run, CPD will help employees to feel more motivated to succeed, resulting in a more driven workforce and an increase in staff retention.
For more information and access to the free bite-size courses, visit https://www.jtltraining.com/toolbox/powerup/